Preparing Your Business for a Winter Storm
When severe winter weather is imminent, the media tends to focus on how it affects homes. But what should you do to prepare in a business setting? While damage to your home affects your personal life, damage to business property interferes with your ability to keep your operations afloat.
As the restoration team known for being “Faster to any size disaster,” SERVPRO of Fort Worth is all about helping the community be best prepared for any weather event. This quick guide gives you tips on how to prepare your business for a winter storm event.
Be Winter Storm Ready
Here are some select tips for business owners who have a goal in mind to protect their assets, protect people, and mitigate interruption of operations.
- Take a risk inventory - As a business owner, you are all too familiar with risk factors. What could go wrong and how likely is it that it will happen?
- Assess liability - Who is responsible for damage to your property, both inside and outside including potential injuries on the premises? Do you need better insurance coverage for these risk factors?
- Have a contingency plan - For scenarios that seem likely to happen, have a plan in place with your support staff well informed on what you plan to do should these hypotheticals occur.
- Communication plan - Who’s responsibility is it to keep staff updated and instructed? What should they know ahead of time and what information needs to be relayed during the event?
- Do a safety inventory - What needs to be done inside and outside of your facility to make things safer? Do you and your staff need a refresher on safety training and OSHA rules?
- Safety and backup supplies - Acquire items for and replenish your emergency supplies kit for business.
While the above list will help you get started, we recommend that you consult both the Emergency Preparedness Checklist for Small Businesses from the Red Cross and the Winter Weather Preparedness Checklist from the Small Business Administration.
Consider SERVPRO of Fort Worth
Even the most ironclad plans are no match for extreme weather circumstances. We highly recommend you have a Fort Worth water damage restoration and storm recovery service in mind in advance.
SERVPRO has helped many Fort Worth area businesses get back to normal. Our goal is to minimize any interruption to your operations and because we have 24-hour operation, we work around your schedule. Give us a call (817) 589-1499 to go over our commercial services for storm recovery. We’re prepared to be your point of contact for your contingency plan.